Guide to Laser Distance Measure
- What is a Laser Distance Measure?
- How To Use A Laser Distance Measure
- Laser Measures: To Buy or Hire?
- Factors to Consider When Choosing a Laser Distance Measure
- Benefits of Using Laser Distance Measures
- Laser Distance Measure Brands
- Laser Measure Accessories
We hope our guide to Laser Distance Measures helps you make the right decision!
1. What is a Laser Distance Measure?
Laser tape measures, also known as laser distance measures or laser distance meters, are a modern alternative to the traditional tape measure.
Measurements are taken by sending out a pulse of laser light to a defined target and then measuring the amount of time it takes for the refection to return.
This allows for extremely accurate readings, even over large distances.
Additionally, on-board functions allow the device to add, subtract, calculate area and volume, triangulate and a range of other functions.
These have a huge benefit to the user as complex, time-consuming calculations can be made quickly, easily and with high degrees of accuracy.
A quality laser measure can be a useful addition to the working kit of a wide range of professionals including builders, contractors, architects, surveyors, tilers, kitchen fitters, flooring contractors and many other professions in which accurate measuring is required.
2. How To Use A Laser Distance Measure
To make a simple distance measurement using a laser measure the user must place the instrument at one end of the line that is to be measured and aim the laser beam at a solid target such as a wall or cabinet.
If a solid object is not available then a plastic target can be placed at the required destination to allow the laser beam to be reflected.
Next, the button is pressed and the distance is measured and displayed on the laser measure's screen.
If a simple distance was all that was required then the job is already done but a whole range of options still exist for the user.
Areas and volumes can be calculated by taking further measurements and making use of the on-board functions to perform the calculations for you.
Each model is different so it is always advisable to spend some time with the user manual before attempting some of the more advanced tasks.
3. Laser Distance Measures: To Buy or Hire?
If you’ve decided you need a Laser Distance Measure you’ve completed the first step. Next, you should consider whether you should buy or hire the tool.
To make this decision you must consider what you will be using the Laser distance measure for, how often you will be using it and what type of measure you need.
If you plan to use a laser distance measure for small jobs such as home DIY, it might be useful to buy a cheaper measure outright as you are likely to reuse the tool over a long period.
There are many budget options including the Leica DISTO D110 which is excellent value for money and can be used by anyone, from DIY enthusiasts to builders. We also offer the Laser Liner Distance Master Home, brilliant for home measuring.
However, if you need a more expensive measure but will only be using it for a short period of time, perhaps hiring is the better option and something to consider.
We offer a hire or buy service full of comprehensive of Survey and Safety equipment, including laser distance measures.
Best Budget Laser Measure
Winner: Leica DISTO One
The new Leica Disto One is a brilliant entry level distance meter ensuring accuracy and precision at an affordable price.
4. Factors To Consider When Choosing The Right Laser Level
There are many different laser distance measures available for use and so there is a lot to consider when trying to choose the right one for you. So, what laser measure is right for you? Here are some things to consider:
- Price – Laser distance measures can range in price from £99 - £599 so what you are willing to spend is an important factor to consider.
- Indoor/Outdoor Use – Do you need to have a laser measure that can be used for indoor and outdoor measuring? Some laser measures, such as the Leica DISTO D510, can do this. However, other measures will only be suitable for one or the other.
- Distance Measurement – What will you be measuring? Laser distance measures can vary on the distance they can measure over. Some will measure up to 60m whereas other can go as far as 200m.
- Waterproof – Will you need a laser distance meter that is waterproof? You might want to consider measures such as the Leica DISTO X310.
Best Multi-Functional Laser Measure
Winner: Leica DISTO X4
The Leica Disto X4 has Bluetooth capabilities and Smart Area Measurement making it easy to incorporate your measurements onto a digital workflow.
It is perfect for bright, outdoor environments.
5. The Benefits of Using Laser Distance Measures
The three main benefits to using a laser measure are:
- Ease of use
Laser measure accuracy is extremely high these days, especially with a high-quality range such as the Leica DISTO™ range. In fact, the full range offers accuracy of ± 1.5mm or less covering distances of up to 200 metres.
The on-board functions make complex calculations of area, volume and triangulation extremely easy to perform. This helps to reduce human error on site, therefore saving time and money.
Simple distance measurements can be taken with a simple click of a button but, for more complex calculations, the laser measure will either take care of this on-board or, in some cases, extended software is available for Windows meaning complex planning tasks can be undertaking with relative ease.
The Leica DISTO™ Laser measures are also well known to be extremely durable. The full range has a minimum Water Protection IP Rating of IP54 although a number of the range are IP65 meaning they are 100% waterproof. They are also built to withstand falls from height as well as strong vibrations from machinery.
Most Durable Laser Measure
Winner: Leica DISTO X3
The Leica Disto X3 is designed to withstand even the toughest weather and construction site conditions.
It has a solid rubber housing making it robust, waterproof and dust resistant.
6. Laser Level Brands
Leica Laser Levels
Some top selling Leica Laser Distance Measures to consider include:
Leica Geosystems are market leaders in the production of high standard survey equipment. With almost 200 years’ experience in the art of capturing, analysing and displaying spatial information, Leica Geosystems have produced the most complete range of products; whatever your needs.
Some top selling Lecia Laser Distance Measures to consider include:
- Leica DISTO One - This is an entry level laser distance measure offering accuracy, precision and ease of use at an extremely affordable price. The Disto One has an indoor range of 20 meters so is perfect for indoor domestic tasks. The Leica DISTO One, designed and engineered by the inventors of the hand-held Laser Distance Meter, calibrated for life to professional industry standards
- Leica DISTO D2 BT - The D2 BT is a small and handy laser distance meter with an impressive 100-meter range. It also has many more useful functions including its ability to measure from edges and out of corners thanks to the multi-functional end-piece.
- Leica DISTO™ D810 Touch - Leica DISTO™ D810 Touch is the first laser distance meter with touch screen and on screen picture measuring or “Measure with Picture” technology. The DISTO D810 is capable of more than just measuring. Measurement data can be conveniently and accurately transferred using the integrated Bluetooth Smart Technology.
Top Leica Laser Measure
Winner: Leica DISTO D810
Leica DISTO™ D810 Touch is the first laser distance meter with touch screen and on screen picture measuring or “Measure with Picture” technology.
7. What Laser Level Accessories Will I Need?
- Target Plate – Target plates are an essential accessory for Laser distance measures when measuring large distances. They provide a reflecting target which helps to provide a precise measurement. There are multiple types of target plates, some can be fixed to corners, edges or on floor marks.
- Tripods – Another important accessory which, by providing stability for the measure, can help improve the accuracy of you distance measurement. We offer the Leica Tri100 Tripod which can be used with the Leica Lino and DISTO ranges.
- Soft Bag – It can be handy to have a convenient carry bag for your equipment to not only keep it safe but keep everything together. Try our Leica GVP508 DISTO Soft bag which does just that and has pockets for all relevant manuals, CD’s, cables and other equipment.
Take a look at our full range of accessories below!
Top Laser Measure Accessory
Winner: Leica TRi100 Tripod
For use with the Leica Lino and Leica DISTO ranges. An aluminium tripod with easy fine adjustment and a robust tilt head!
If you have any queries feel free to contact us.
One of our experienced team will be happy to help
Phone: 0800 633 5131